Click download and use pull down menu to “Save As”
All questions in this episode will relate to chick flicks. We used a relatively loose definition of chick flick. Everyone basically defined it for themselves.
Each of our 7 members will take a turn reading the 10 questions they have prepared for this week. All other members attempt to answer them. The audio is available for download/listening here on celluloidering.com or free from the iTunes store. A list of the questions and individual cast member scores from the week are available in “Full Post”. Answers are also in “Full Post” at the bottom of the page, so please scroll down carefully if you wish to avoid them.
1. In Sex and the City, Sarah Jessica Parker says that year after year, countless women in their twenties flock to New York City in search of the two L’s. What are they?
2. In My Best Friend’s Wedding, while pretending to be the fiancé of Julia Roberts, Rupert Everett inspires the entire wedding party to launch into a lively sing-along to what song?
3. In The Devil Wears Prada, having incurred the wrath of Meryl Streep, what seemingly impossible task must Anne Hathaway complete for her boss’s twin daughters in just four hours time to keep her job?
4. In Bring It On, the deranged choreographer teaches the cheerleaders that what variation on jazz hands is pure gold in competitions?
5. In Mamma Mia, between Pierce Brosnan, Stellan Skarsgard, and Colin Firth, which man ends up being the father of Meryl Streep’s daughter, played by Amanda Seyfried?
6. In Ella Enchanted, while at a wedding reception in the land of the giants, Anne Hathaway is ordered to sing for their enjoyment. What song written by Queen does she perform?
7. In What Women Want, can you name two of the traditionally female products Mel Gibson is testing out when he has the accident that renders him able to hear what the ladies are thinking?
8. In Mean Girls, what does Amanda Seyfried call the psychic ‘fifth sense’ she thinks she has?
9. In The Princess Diaries, before Anne Hathaway gets a makeover, what two names does beauty stylist Larry Miller give to her thick eyebrows?
10. From Beaches to Pretty Woman, Garry Marshall has directed many films that qualify as chick flicks. Can you name the actor who has appeared in all of them?
1. In Last Holiday, Queen Latifah plays a woman diagnosed with several brain tumors and a few weeks to live. What does she drop off at her sister’s house before setting off on a dream vacation with her precious little time?
2. What was Josie Geller’s nickname in high school?
3. What costume does Elle Woods wear to the costume party that turns out not to be a costume party at all in Legally Blonde?
4. What song is emanating from Lloyd Dobler’s boombox as he serenades Diane Court in Say Anything…?
5. What happens to Mel Gibson’s character in What Women Want that causes him to hear women’s thoughts?
6. What nickname does Edward call Bella by just before they begin jumping from tree to tree through the forest in Twilight?
7. In the film How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, what type of plant does Kate Hudson buy for Matthew McConaughey as a representation of their love?
8. What song do Britney Spears and pals sing at the Karaoke Bar in Crossroads?
9. What is Janeane Garofalo’s profession in the movie The Truth About Cats and Dogs?
10. In the movie The Other Sister, during the wedding reception at the beginning of the film, people are whispering a phrase back and forth that to a lip reader might appear to be the phrase “I love you.” What is the phrase?
1. The 1930 pre-code film adaptation of Eugene O’Neill’s Anna Christie was promoted with the famous slogan “Garbo Talks”. When she starred in Ernst Lubitsch’s 1939 romantic comedy Ninotchka, what similar two-word slogan was used to advertise that film?
2. Another Lubitsch romantic comedy, 1940’s The Shop Around The Corner, is about two people who are unaware they are in love with each other. Which Nora Ephron film was a remake of this film?
3. in Chaplin’s 1931 classic silent romantic comedy classic, City Lights, what does The Tramp’s pretty, but blind love interest mistake him for through the film?
4. In Howard Hawks’ Bringing up Baby, what exactly is Baby?
5. What is the name of the jewel in 1984’s Romancing the Stone?
6. Who is the guitarist that pops in every now and then during There’s Something About Mary?
7. What is the name of Rob Gordon’s (played by John Cusack) record store in High Fidelity?
8. in Billy Wilder’s Sabrina, Audrey Hepburn plays the daughter of a man with what occupation?
9. in Billy Wilder’s The Apartment, when Jack Lemmon’s character professes his love to Shirley MacLaine’s character over a hand of card, what is her famous reply?
10. In Preston Sturges’ Unfaithfully Yours, Rex Harrison plays Sir Alfred de Carter, a respected man who daydreams of three different revenge fantasies against his wife while in the middle of his work. What is his occupation?
Name the Actors
1. Shakespeare in Love
2. Truth About Cats
3. Sweet Home Alabama
4. Bull Durham
5. Dan in Real Life
Name the Movie
6. Ben Stiller, Edward Norton, and Jenna Elfman
7. Greg Kinnear, Harrison Ford, Julia Ormond
8. Albert Finney, Gabriel Byrne, Marcia Gay Harden
9. Sean Connery, Julia Ormond, Richard Gere
10. Nicolas Cage, Bridget Fonda, Rosie Perez
1. This prolific actress was the evil step mom to Drew Barrymore’s Cinderella in Ever After?
2. What part of figure skating can Doug, the ex-hocky player, not quite get the hang of in The Cutting Edge?
3. What does Adam claim is special about his heart in Untamed Heart?
4. In Jean-Pierre Jeunet’s Amelie the dominate color scheme is red and green but what color does he use as in A Very Long Engagement?
5. What is the profession of David Huxley in Bringing Up Baby?
6. What is Meg Ryan singing when she changes the radio channel to listen to the call in radio show where Noah says he needs a new mom?
7. Where specifically does Colin Frissell go at the end of Love Actually to find beautiful women?
8. What does the Greek muse incarnate, Kira, inspire Sonny Malone to do in Xanadu?
9. What basketball based chick flick stared Omar Epps in 2000?
10. What is Long Duck Dong’s response to Howard asking him “Where is my automobile”?
PAT M. ROUND
1. At the begining of the movie, Cinderella rescues a mouse and welcomes him into the household. What name does she give him & what nickname does she give him?
2. What is the name of the cat that lives in the house?
Alice Doesn’t Live Here Anymore 1974
3. What is the punchline to the joke that Alice’s son Tommy tells.
New York New York 1977
4. What musical instrument does Jimmy Doyle play?
Romancing the Stone 1984
5. The knowledge of what musical group breakup really bums out Jack Colton?
The Princesses Bride 1987
6. According to Miracle Max, what food item is the greatest thing in the world next to true love?
7. What is the name of the farmboy who grows up to become The Dread Pirate Roberts?
A League of Their Own 1992
8. What baseball team do we see sisters Dottie and Kit join together? The Rockford Peaches [What team does Dottie get tramsfered to?
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon 2000
9. What is the name of the coveted sword?
The Devil Wears Prada 2006
10. What is the name of the fashion magazine that Andy Sachs is working for?
1. What does Cal order Rose for lunch in Tianic?
2. What artists’ work did Rose bring with her onto the Titanic?
3. In As Good as It Gets, what compliment does Jack Nicholson give Helen Hunt, which she says is the best compliment of her life?
4. In As Good as It Gets, Jack Nicholson bonds with Greg Kinnear’s dog. What is the dog’s name?
5. In A League of Their Own, what is the name of the annoying little boy that Hanks throws a glove at?
6. What famous actress played first base for Racine in A League of Their Own?
7. How does Jack Lemmon find out that Shirley MacLaine is Fred MacMurray’s “other woman” in The Apartment?
8. Who killed Sam Wheat in Ghost?
9. In It Happened One Night, what is the Walls of Jerhico?
10. In Crossroads, who plays Britney Spears’ father?
1. Labels and love
2. I Say a Little Prayer
3. Finding the unpublished manuscript of the next Harry Potter novel
4. Spirit fingers
5. They choose not to have it determined, and all three step up to be a father in her life
6. Somebody to Love
7. Anti-wrinkle cream, mascara, moisturizing lipstick, bath beads, quick-drying nail polish, waxing kit, Wonderbra, hair volumizer, home pregnancy test, pore cleansing strips, pantyhose
9. Frida Kahlo
10. Hector Elizondo
1. Her son
2. Josie Grosie
3. A Playboy bunny
4. Peter Gabriel’s “In Your Eyes”
5. He is electrocuted
6. Spider Monkey
7. A fern
8. I Love Rock & Roll
9. Radio show host
10. “Olive juice”
1. Garbo Laughs!
2. You’ve Got Mail
3. a rich person
4. a Leopard
5. El Corazon, or The Heart
6. Jonathan Richman
7. Championship Vinyl
9. “Shut up and deal.”
10. orchestra conductor.
1. Colin Firth, Joseph Fiennes, and Gwyneth Paltrow
2. Uma Thurman, Janeane Garofalo, and Ben Chaplin
3. Reese Witherspoon, Josh Lucas, Patrick Dempsey
4. Kevin Costner, Tim Robbins, Susan Sarandon
5. Steve Carell, Dane Cook, and Juliette Binoche
6. Keeping the Faith
8. Miller’s Crossing
9. First Knight
10. It Could Happen to You
1. Angelica Huston
3. its a baboon heart
6. Horses Horses Horses or Jingle Bells
7. Milwaukee Wisconsin
8. to build a roller disco
9. Love and Basketball
10. Automobile? skreeeeeeech booom! Lake. Big Lake!
PAT M. ROUND
1. Octavious and Gus for short.
3. “Shoot the dog!”
5. The Doobie Brothers
6. An MLT; Mutton, Lettuce and Tomato sandwich
8. Racine Belles
9. The Green Destiny
1. Lamb with very little mint sauce
2. Picasso (and Monet)
3. Nicholson said he started to take his pills and he says: “You make me want to be a better man.”
6. Tea Leoni
7. Lemmon found a broken mirror in his apartment after MacMurray used it. MacMurray returned the mirror to MacLaine. MacLaine then lent it to Lemmon.
8. Willie Lopez
9. It is a sheet in between Gable’s and Corbert’s beds to give them their privacy.
10. Dan Akroyd