Click download and use pull down menu to “Save As”
All questions in this episode will relate to meta movies or movies within movies.
Each of our 8 members will take a turn reading the 10 questions they have prepared for this week. All other members attempt to answer them. The audio is available for download/listening here on celluloidering.com or free from the iTunes store. A list of the questions and individual cast member scores from the week are available in “Full Post”. Answers are also in “Full Post” at the bottom of the page, so please scroll down carefully if you wish to avoid them.
1. In State and Main, according to the town doctor, why should you never trust a man in a bow tie?
2. Before their makeshift sound stage is destroyed, what is the title of the porn Zack and Miri are attempting to make?
3. What is the first movie that they sweed in Be Kind Rewind?
4. Who plays the insolent waiter at El Sleezo’s Resturant that Kermit takes Piggy to on their date in the Muppet Movie?
5. The filmmakers in this movie within a movie cut their negative at Andy and Evan’s alma mater, The University of Wisconsin Milwaukee.
6. What does Alpa Chino say to inform us he definitely knows how to sew in Tropic Thunder?
7. Christopher Guest’s For Your Consideration follows the cast and crew of a film based on what Jewish holiday before the film is re-titled Home For Thanksgiving for more generic appeal?
8. In the Son of Rambow, our two main boys get sent out of the classroom during the documentary. While in the hallway, what do they break?
9. In Tarsem Singh’s The Fall, can you tell me why Alexandria or her story-telling friend Roy, are in the hospital?
10. What little number do The Three Amigos do in the saloon to loosen up the grim looking crowd of Mexicans?
1. What is the name of the Ed Wood masterpiece that served as Bela Lugosi’s final performance in Ed Wood?
2. What is the name of the movie being produced by Miramax without the permission of the inspirations of the source material in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back?
3. What is the name of the movie Charlie Kaufman is hired to adapt from Susan Orlean’s book in Adaptation?
4. What is the name of the Kit Ramsey starring vehicle that Bobby Bowfinger is desperate to produce in Bowfinger?
5. What is the name of the musical film starring Don Lockwood, Lina Lamont, and the voice talent of Kathy Selden in Singin’ in the Rain?
6. What is the name of the horror movie being produced by Sunrise Studios and based on the events of the Scream trilogy in Scream 3?
7. What is the name of the ill-fated re-imagining of Cervantes’ Don Quixote almost directed by Terry Gilliam in Lost in La Mancha?
8. What is the name of the film Danny Madigan is sucked into in Last Action Hero?
9. What is the name of the film Paul Ballard is editing in Roman Coppola’s CQ?
10. What is the name of the film which serves as the debut of characters Brock Landers and Chest Rockwell (played by Dirk Diggler [real name Eddie Adams] and Reed Rothchild [played by Mark Wahlberg and John C. Reilly]) in Boogie Nights?
1. In Blazing Saddles, according to Gene Wilder, why is shooting Mongo a bad idea?
2. In Ed Wood, during WWII, the title director wasn’t scared of being killed, but was terrified of what?
3. In The Player, what actor and actress are mentioned by all of the screenwriters as the potential leads to their films, and who actually do end up starring in the movie-within-the-movie at the end?
4. In Singin’ in the Rain, even though his rise to fame didn’t live up to it, what is Don Lockwood’s motto?
5. In Adaptation, what is the twist to the clichéd psychological thriller that Donald Kaufman is writing?
6. In Sullivan’s Travels, why does the director decide not to make his dramatic social commentary film?
7. In Crimes and Misdemeanors, what is the main philosophy of comedy to the pompous blowhard producer played by Alan Alda?
8. In Federico Fellini’s 8½, what is the story to the movie that Guido is making?
9. In Boogie Nights, what is the adult filmmaking dream of director Burt Reynolds?
10. Can you name the three circumstances where you will find the Three Amigos?
1. In “Ed Wood”, Bela Lugosi waves his hand to put Vampira under his thrall. Ed asks Bela how he moves his hand in that way. What is Bela’s answer?
2. “How to Make a Monster” is about the filming of a movie starring which two monsters?
3. What is the name of the talk show that Cotton Weary hosts in “Scream 3”?
4. Name one of the sets that Pee-wee Herman rides his bike through during the back lot chase sequence in “Pee-wee’s Big Adventure”.
5. What is the word for friend in the native’s language in the original “King Kong”?
6. Why does Death come to see Jack Slater in “Last Action Hero”?
7. “Shadow of the Vampire” is about the filming of “Nosferatu”. What is the name of Willem Dafoe’s character who played Nosferatu?
8. In “Man of a Thousand Faces”, what handicap do Lon Chaney’s parents have, which help him to become a better actor?
9. In Peter Jackson’s “King Kong”, the executives decide to scrap Carl Denham’s picture and sell it as stock footage. Which studio do they say is desperate for stock footage?
10. In “Gods and Monsters”, James Whale makes friend with Clayton Boone. How did they meet?
1. In Adaptation, what actress plays the studio executive who is optioning the book for the film rights?
2. In Barton Fink, what kind of “picture” is Barton’s first writing assignment?
3. In Bowfinger, Kit Ramsey belongs to an organization called Mindhead, to help with her personality issues. What actor plays the ominous leader of Mindhead?
4. Among the many stars in movie America’s Sweethearts, what actor plays eccentric director Hal Weidmann, who edits his films in the Uni-Bomber’s cabin?
5. In Ed Wood, filmmaker Orson Welles is played by one actor but voiced by another. Who was the character and who was the voice?
6. The film Gods and Monsters, starring Brendan Fraser and Ian McKellen, portrays the retired life of Frankenstein director James Whale and him dealing with his failing health. Who wrote and directed Gods and Monsters?
7. Another appearance of Ian McKellen is in the movie Last Action Hero starring Arnold Schwarzenegger. Who did Ian McKellen play in the mo vie?
8. In Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Robert Downey Jr. gets swept up in murder and mystery while studying for a film role by observing Val Kilmer’s character of Gay Perry. What was Perry’s occupation?
9. Singin’ in the Rain, follows the career of several actors who struggle, like many real actors did, during what period in film history?
10. In Tropic Thunder, Ben Stiller plays action star Tugg Speedman who failed at an attempt at a serious role portraying a character who is mentally handicapped. What was the name of the film?
For the first 6, name the Movie that these fictitious films appear in.
1. Angels With Filthy Souls
2. Asses of Fire
3. O Brother, Where Art Thou?
4. Mant! Presented in Atomo Vision
5.”Shootin’ for Love”, “Wanderers of the West”
6. American Scooby
7. Karl Hungus stars in this laughably bad adult film from The Big Lebowski.
8. In “The Aviator” what is the war picture that Howard Hughes struggles over several years to complete?
9. The influence of Fellini’s 8 1/2 is evident throughout this Woody Allen film about film, even down to the use of black and white throughout.
10. This early effort from both John Landis and the Zucker-Abrahams-Zucker writing team includes extended examples of fictional films, including “A Fistful of Yen”, “See you next Wednesday–in feel-around” and “That’s Armageddon, with George Lazenby as the Architect”
1. In the 1963 thriller, Peeping Tom, what is Mark’s primary weapon?
2. As a child Guido and his friends would ask what woman to dance in Fellini’s 8 1/2?
3. In the 1976 comedy Silent Movie, what character has the only dialog heard aloud in this film?
4. In the shock fest horror film Cannibal Holocaust, what animal is split open at the side? And what animal is shot with a hand gun in Cannibal Holocaust?
5. In Ed Wood, while securing Bela Lugosi look-a-likes, Paul Marco seeks men that look like what other performer?
6. Bela calls Ed and ask for help twice in Ed Wood. Upon Ed’s arrival the first time Bela ask Ed for what immediate comfort?
7. What is the name of Kit Ramsey’s brother in Bowfinger?
8. A rendition of what song, popularized by Roy Orbison, is featured near the end of Mulholland Drive?
9. What fictional Ben Affleck movie is seen advertised in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back
10. What is Bobby Daren’s real last name in Beyond the Sea?
1. a cravat is suppose to accentuate a man’s genitals, why would you trust a man wearing a tie that accentuates his ears.
2. Star Whores
4. Steve Martin
5. American Movie
6. he sewed the patterns for the new line of Alpa Chino’s Chinos for the Gap
8. a fishbowl
9. Roy jumped off a bridge on a horse for a stunt in the movie and Alexandra fell while picking ornges
10. My Little Buttercup
1. Plan 9 From Outer Space
2. Bluntman and Chronic
3. The Orchid Thief
4. Chubby Rain
5. The Dancing Cavalier
6. Stab 3
7. The Man Who Killed Don Quixote
8. Jack Slater IV
10. Brock Landers: Angels Live in My Town
1. “You’ll just make him mad”
2. Being wounded and having the medics discover him wearing a brassiere and panties
3. Bruce Willis and Julia Roberts
4. “Dignity, always dignity”
5. The killer, the victim, and the cop are the same person suffering from multiple personality disorder.
6. He realizes the value in making people laugh.
7. “If it bends it’s funny, if it breaks it’s not funny”
8. No one knows, not even Guido himself.
9. To make films with stories the audience wants to see the end of.
10. “Wherever there is injustice, you will find us; wherever there is suffering, we’ll be there; wherever liberty is threatened, you will find…the three amigos!”
1. You must be double jointed and Hungarian.
2. Teenage Frankenstein and Teenage Werewolf
3. 100% Cotton
4. A Godzilla scene, a beach scene, a Christmas scene, and a music video.
6. Because Jack is not on any of his lists.
7. Max Schreck
8. They are deaf.
10. Boone was Whale’s gardener.
1. Tilda Swinton
2. A Wrestling Picture
3. Terrance Stamp
4. Christopher Walken
5. Vincent D’Onofrio and Maurice LaMarche
6. Bill Condon (writer/director of Dreamgirls and Kinsey)
7. The Grim Reaper
8. Private Investigator
9. The transition to sound
10. Simple Jack
1. Home Alone
2. South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut
3. Sullivan’s Travels
5. The Three Amigos
8. Hell’s Angels
9. Stardust Memories
10. Kentucky Fried Movie
1. a bayonet mounted on the end of a tripod
2. La Saraghina
3. Marcel Marceau
4. a turtle and a pig (respectively)
5. Boris Karloff
9. Moon Raper