Click download and use pull down menu to “Save As”
All questions in this episode will relate to alien movies. This includes any movie with an alien and not just the Alien franchise.
Each of our 8 members will take a turn reading the 10 questions they have prepared for this week. All other members attempt to answer them. The audio is available for download/listening here on celluloidering.com or free from the iTunes store. A list of the questions and individual cast member scores from the week are available in “Full Post”. Answers are also in “Full Post” at the bottom of the page, so please scroll down carefully if you wish to avoid them.
1. Who destroys earth in The Hitchhicker’s Guide to the Galaxy?
2. River Phoenix and Ethan Hawk both make their feature film debut in what alien film?
3. Who was the unmistakable voice of Max, the ship, in Flight of the Navigator?
4. What Pixar director had a hand in writing the screenplay for *Batteries Not Included?
5. In Brad Bird’s Iron Giant, what does the Iron Giant offer to fix for Hogarth, who then explains it cannot be fixed?
6. How do the aliens contact Gonzo in Muppets in Space?
7. Name one the actors and their alien skin tone from Earth Girls are Easy.
8. What occurs when you press the self-destruct button on the alien ship in, Galaxy Quest?
9. What planet are the Rocky Horror Picture Show aliens from?
10. In The Fifth Element, Zorg believes the 4 element stones are in a box that he steals but soon finds out they are not. Where are they actually?
1. In E.T. The Extra Terrestrial, the alien and the boy develop a symbiotic bond. In the famous sequence where E.T. is left home alone while Elliott is in science class getting ready to dissect frogs, can you name one of the things E.T. does and what that gets Elliott to do?
2. Can you name one of the programs or movies shown on Channel 62 in ‘Weird Al’ Yankovic’s UHF?
3. In Plan 9 from Outer Space, when star Bela Lugosi died in mid-production, what was director Ed Wood’s solution for completing the actor’s remaining scenes?
4. In Starship Troopers, what is the difference between being a citizen and being a civilian?
5. In 2001: A Space Odyssey, a never seen alien race places monoliths to spur humanity towards the next stages of its development. Where in our solar system are they located?
6 In horror films, it’s a cliché that the black guy always dies first – but is this true in Ridley Scott’s Alien? Of the six people that don’t survive the mission, what number death is Yaphet Kotto, the only African-American in the cast?
7. A Spaceballs 2-parter! Doing your best Dark Helmet imitation, what kind of combination is 1-2-3-4-5? And why is it the case that “evil will always triumph”?
8. In the Rocky Horror Picture Show, according to the lyrics, what are the dance steps to the Time Warp?
9. Legendary composer John Williams has written the music to eleven films that feature aliens, two of which have earned him Academy Awards. Can you name them both?
10. The Star Wars saga features a plethora of alien worlds. Can you correctly identify which episode three out of these five planets or moons are featured in? Hoth, Endor, Yavin 4, Utapau, Geonosis.
1. In Richard Donner’s Superman, what is the alien’s weakness?
2. In M. Night Shyamalan’s Signs, what is the alien’s weakness?
3. In Byron Haskin’s War of the Worlds, what is the alien’s weakness?
4. In Irvin S. Yeaworth Jr.’s The Blob, what is the alien’s weakness?
5. In Tim Burton’s Mars Attacks!, what is the alien’s weakness?
6. In Robert Rodriguez’s The Faculty, what is the alien’s weakness?
7. In Ivan Reitman’s Evolution, what is the alien’s weakness?
8. In The Kyoto Brother’s Killer Klowns from Outer Space, there is a large Klown named Klownzilla in charge of the rest of them, what is this alien’s weakness?
9. In George Méliés’s La Voyage dans la Lune, what is the alien’s weakness?
10. In Lawrence Kasdan’s Dreamcatcher, what is the alien’s weakness?
1. The X-Files movie’s tagline was also the bi-title for the movie, what was it?
2. In the movie Mac and Me, there is a musical number that takes place inside of a fast food restaurant. What is the restaurant?
3. In one of her first film roles, this actress played the daughter to Dan Akroyd in the movie My Stepmother is an Alien.
4. Stranded on an unknown planet, Dennis Quaid and Louis Gossett Jr. play alien adversaries who must work together to survive in what Wolfgang Peterson film?
5. In Explorers, Ethan Hawke and River Pheonix receive alien instructions through their dreams in order to build a spacecraft. Who directed the movie?
6. What carnival ride was used as the main body of the space ship?
7. The Music Man, Robert Preston, plays an alien named Centauri who recruits an earthling pilot by testing his skill with a video game in this film.
8. In 1986, Tobe Hooper directed a remake of this 1953 film with the same title about burrowing Martian space craft and mind control through implants in the back of the neck.
9. In Steven Spielbergs’s Close Encouncters of the Third Kind, people draw and sculpt a geographical landmark where the aliens would make contact, what is the landmark?
10. Aliens Beldar and his mate Primatt, are stranded on earth in this movie, based on a SNL sketch.
I will give you the alien race, you give me the film they come from
10. Kodan Armada
1. The underwater scenes for this film were filmed in the underwater chamber of the Cherokee Nuclear power plant.
2. Quentin Tarantino was approached to direct this epic film in which the human race was enslaved for a long time in the year 3000 and has to fight back for survival.
3. Queen wrote and performed a theme song for this amazingly bad film.
4. This buddy comedy about two agents directing alien activity on Earth was originally envisioned with Clint Eastwood and Chris O’Donnel as the leads.
5. This film, had legal issues with it’s title and had to abbreviate it during it’s promotion, this issue was later resolved and it is now known by its intended title.
6. This was the directorial debut for David Fincher.
7. The production team of this film used a new technique to make corn grow quickly which was heavily featured in this film, the Delaware Valley Cultural College after the film was completed adopted the practice for themselves.
8. This classic sci-fi film has been remade into a feature film three times since its original release, most recently with Nicole Kidman and Daniel Craig.
9. This sci-fi parody where actors are misconstrued as heroes was Justin Long’s first film.
10. This now classic sci-fi film dealing with the world’s response to an alien invasion was only moderately successful when it was released due to its percieved subversive elements and supposed communist links.
1. In the Japanese Film “Destroy All Planets”, a squid-like creature from outer space, named Viras, comes to earth and battles against this Giant Monster, who resembles a big turtle?
2. In Close Encounters of the Third Kind, what food does Richard Dreyfuss sculpt the mountain out of during dinner?
3. How do the aliens make their way to earth in Spielberg’s War of the Worlds?
4. In The Predator, the predator has one line. What is it?
5. In ET, what is ET dressed up as on Halloween?
6. The Three Stooges met a couple of Martians once. What was the title of that film?
7. What is the name of the mountain-like spaceship in Krull?
8. What is the name of the yeti-like creature that attacks Luke Skywalker in The Empire Strikes Back?
9. In John Carpenter’s The Thing, how does the alien virus get into the research facility?
10. In The Day the Earth Stood Still, in which city does the spaceship land?
1. Where do Bill and Ted first meet the alien Station in their Bogus Journey?
2. What is Newt’s birthname in Aliens, which only her brother calls her by?
3. Who or what do the navy seals assume is the source of the underwater disturbances in The Abyss?
4. What does Superman use as a projectile to envelope the enemy much to the dismay of comic book fans and logical thinkers alike?
5. Who or what sends the Silver Surfer to Earth to prepare it for consumption?
6. Where Star Trek has warp speed, what are the three degrees of super speed in Spaceballs?
7. In Bad Taste, what type of modern day franchise will have an intergalactic scope should the aliens succeed in their harvesting of New Zealanders?
8. In the screen adapatation of Doom, what do the letters BFG stand for, when referring to the BFG 9000 which kills a lot of people?
9. In The Life of Brian, as he’s fleeing the Centurions, he leaps from a window to certain death only to be saved by what miraculous event?
10. What is the name of the Doomsday exercise machine featured in Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Movie Film for Theaters?
3. Paul Reubens credited as Paul Mall
4. Brad Bird
5. a dead deer
6. through his breakfast cereal
7. Jeff Goldblum – Blue, Jim Carry – Red, Damon Wayans – Yellow
8. it counts down to 1 and stops just like in the TV show
9. Transsexual, in the galaxy of Transylvania
10. inside the opera singer, Diva Plavalaguna
1. E.T. drinks beer, Elliott burps and gets drunk; E.T. hits his head, Elliott feels it; E.T. falls over, Elliott slips off of his chair; E.T. realizes he needs to call home, Elliott frees the frogs so they can go home; E.T. sees a romantic movie scene on TV, Elliott kisses a cute girl in the same fashion
2. Town Talk, Uncle Nutzy’s Clubhouse, Stanley Spadowski’s Clubhouse, Wheel of Fish, Secrets of the Universe, Raul’s Wild Kingdom, Conan the Librarian, Stay Fit with Mike and Spike, Bowling for Burgers, Strip Solitaire, Practical Jokes & Bloopers, Celebrity Mud Wrestling, Gandhi II, U62 Telethon
3. Have another actor hold a cape over their face so ‘no one would know’ it wasn’t Bela
4. enlisting in the army, or the right to vote
5. Earth, the Moon, Jupiter’s orbit
7. “The kind of thing an idiot would have on his luggage”, “because good is dumb”
8. Jump to the left, step to the right, hands on hips, knees in tight, pelvic thrust
9. Star Wars, E.T.: The Extra Terrestrial
10. The Empire Strikes Back, Return Of The Jedi, A New Hope, Revenge Of The Sith, Attack Of The Clones.
5. Yodeling (Slim Whitman’s song, “Indian Love Call”)
6. A home-made cocaine-like drug
7. Head and Shoulders dandruff Shampoo
8. Puncturing Klownzilla’s nose
9. A simple smack
1. Fight the Future
3. Alyson Hannigan
4. Enemy Mine
5. Joe Dante
7. The Last Starfighter
8. Invaders from Mars
9. Devil’s Tower
1. Alien Nation
2. Enemy Mine
4. Battlefield Earth
7. The Fifth Element
8. Galaxy Quest
9. Flash Gordon
10. The Last Starfighter
1. The Abyss
2. Battlefield Earth
3. Flash Gordon
4. Men in Black
5. ID4, Independence Day
6. Alien 3
8. Invasion of the Body Snatchers
9. Galaxy Quest
10. The Day the Earth Stood Still
2. Mashed Potatoes
3. They ride the lightning
4. What the hell are you?
5. A ghost
6. The Three Stooges in Orbit
7. The Black Fortress
9. A dog brings it inside
10. Washington D.C.
3. The Soviets
4. The S from his costume
6. Light, Ridiculous, Ludicrous
7. a fast food chain
8. Bio Force Gun
9. He his abducted by aliens and survives a space battle, only to be dropped in front of the same Centurions.