Click download and use pull down menu to “Save As”
All questions in this episode will relate to movies that were the first in their franchise. For our purposes a franchise consists of three or more films for example Pirates of the Caribbean or The Lord of the Rings. The question can be anything to do with the movie, as long as the movie was the first within the series.
Each of our 8 members will take a turn reading the 10 questions they have prepared for this week. All other members attempt to answer them. The audio is available for download/listening here on celluloidering.com or free from the iTunes store. A list of the questions and individual cast member scores from the week are available in “Full Post”. Answers are also in “Full Post” at the bottom of the page, so please scroll down carefully if you wish to avoid them.
1. What actor finds himself with a backload of tarantulas in Raiders of the Lost Ark?
2. What does Adam West use to fend off the shark in the opening scene of Batman: The Movie?
3. Who provides the voice for Donatello in the first live-action Ninja Turtles movie?
4. What actress can be seen bouncing around Perfection, Nevada on a pogo stick in Tremors?
5. Where is Clark Griswold driving his family in National Lampoon’s Vacation?
6. What Friends star plays the lead in the first Leprechaun film?
7. Who plays a punk astronomer in Terminator?
8. What actor gives Spiderman his name in the first Spiderman film?
9. Who played Austin Powers’ contact at British Intelligence?
10. At the end of Jurassic Park, a banner falls from the ceiling of a room. What does it say?
1. OJ Simpson was wanted for this lead role but the producers worried that he was too nice to be taken seriously as a cold-blooded killer.
2. What was the name given to the animatronic shark from Jaws and who was it named after?
3. Who was originally cast as Indiana Jones?
4. This movie holds the record for most money spent on make-up, after inflation, which took up 17% of the entire film’s budget, but this paid off, as it won an honorary Academy Award for make-up 16 years before the award was added.
5. How old was Tobey Maguire when he played the high-school-aged Peter Parker in the original Spiderman?
6. Chris Farley was cast in this part but died shortly after production began. What was the part and the movie?
7. This film had numerous problems from conception to release, last of which was fewer than 40 distributors agreeing to show the film. As a solution, 20th Century Fox threatened that any cinema refusing to show it wouldn’t be given the rights to their upcoming blockbuster The Other Side of Heaven.
8. Stuart Townsend was originally cast for this role and rehearsed and trained with the other actors for several months but was replaced the day of principle photography when the director realized they needed an older actor for the part.
9. Steven Spielberg directed this man, who bested him for the Best Director and Best Picture in 1983 in this First of a Franchise. Name the man and the movie.
10. Who lost the role of Wolverine because Mission Impossible II was delayed?
1. What is the name of the boy who was killed by the shark while on his raft in Jaws?
2. What is the name of the sanitarium which held Michael Myers for 15 years in John Carpenter’s Halloween?
3. Name two references to John Carpenter’s Halloween in Scream?
4. Rocky won three Oscars, what were they?
5. In the book Frankenstein, Dr. Frankenstein’s first name is Victor, what did Universal rename him for the film?
6. In the film Pirates of the Caribbean, name two references to the ride.
7. What are the names of the two chimps that befriend Charlton Heston in Planet of the Apes? They are played by Roddy McDowell and Kim Hunter.
8. What was Dr. Alan Grant’s favorite dinosaur when he was a kid?
9. What did Larry Talbot, played by Lon Chaney Jr., use to kill the werewolf that bit him in The Wolfman?
10, In Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery, one of the villains is an Irishman who says people are always after his lucky charms. What is his name?
1. In Star Trek: The Motion Picture, what malfunctions, killing the Enterprise’s science officer?
2. In the first Jurassic Park, what amino acid needs to be provided to the dinosaurs in order for them to live as a precaution should they ever escape?
3. In Death Wish, what is Charles Bronson’s character’s job?
4. In the first Mummy film, 1932, who plays the Mummy?
5. What is the name of the company whose tower is taken over in Die Hard?
6. In the movie Cube, the characters are all named after what?
7. In the first Police Academy, what is Hightower’s first name?
8. In Psycho, what city does Marion Crane flee from when she takes the $40,000?
9. In Dirty Harry, what is the Scorpio killer’s first victim doing when she is killed?
10. In the 1970 film Airport, of the two main actor’s Dean Martin or Burt Lancaster, which one plays the airline pilot?
1. What is the name that Bastian chooses for the child empress of Fantasia in Never-Ending Story?
2. Which four characters from Raiders of the Lost Ark go on to play their characters again in later Indiana Jones movies?
3. Other than November 5th, 1955, what two dates does Doc Brown enter into the Time Machine as examples?
4. What was Jafar’s occupation in the palace in Aladdin?
5. What are the things the genie can’t or won’t do?
6. What is the name/designation of the planet they set down on in Alien?
7. What is the name of the company that Ripley works for?
8. Who narrates The Land Before Time?
9. In the movie Poltergeist, what is the very first thing you hear, when the screen is still black?
10. What is the famous line that Kyle Reese delivers that echoes through all the Terminator movies?
1. In The Muppet Movie, Kermit and Fozzie are driving along in the car. What is Fozzie’s response to Kermit saying, “Bear right”
2. In the first Harry Potter movie, what is the name of Harry’s owl?
3. In Jurassic Park, the lawyer gets upset with Tim for playing with what in the car?
4. In Back to the Future, what is the name of the mall before and after they travel through time
5. In Scream, what is the name of David Arquette’s character?
6. In Look Who’s Talking, who play’s Mikey’s grandpa?
7. What is the top secret underground lab in Resident Evil?
8. In Wallace and Gromit: A Grand Day Out, where do they go?
9. In Alien, what color does Ash bleed?
10. In Cinderella, Bruno, the dog, is turned into what?
1. When Hooper cuts open the shark wrongly assumed to be Jaws, what are the three things he pulls out of the beast’s stomach?
2. From Raiders of the Lost Ark, in the marketplace chase, Indy was originally supposed to have a long choreographed fight with the swordsman. What was the reason behind shortening the scene into the famous “just pull out the gun and shoot him” bit?
3. In Dr. No, before Joseph Wiseman was cast, what actor, who eventually played a villain in the series, did James Bond creator Ian Fleming want to play Dr. No?
4. What do you call a blind dinosaur?
5. Before going with the T-Rex-like design, what creature were the special effects artists originally planning Godzilla to be?
6. Aside from wax-on/wax-off, what are the other three chores Daniel-san learns which end up being defensive techniques in Karate Kid?
7. In Three Ninjas, what are the names the grandfather gives as nicknames to the boys?
8. In Home Alone, what is the name of the fake gangster movie Kevin uses to mess with the delivery man and the robbers?
9. In anticipation of crimes and deaths, what fruit is always present in some form in The Godfather?
10. Even though he’s known as The Man with No Name, in A Fistfull of Dollars, Clint Eastwood is called by a name, and he’s referred to by it in the credits. What is the name?
1. Where does Adrian work when Rocky first meets her?
2. What nearly kills Officer Murphy, leading him down the unchosen path to become Robocop?
3. Who helped kick off both the Alien and Lord of the Rings franchises?
4. What kills Superman’s adoptive father?
5. Name an actor, other than Antonio Banderas, who appeared in both Spy Kids and Desperado?
6. Who was originally set to play the fish out of water lead character in Beverly Hills Cop?
7. What is the origin planet of the threat to Earth and the Federation in Star Trek: The Motion Picture?
8. Who does the Starlighter with the injured hand call while Marty McFly rocks out on stage?
9. What did Chow Yun Fat keep in his mouth through most, if not all of, A Better Tomorrow?
10. What does Daniel-san wear to the Halloween dance in Karate Kid?
1. Alfred Molina
2. Bat Shark Repellant
3. Corey Feldman
4. Ariana Richards
5. Wally World
6. Jennifer Aniston
7. Bill Paxton
8. Bruce Campbell
9. Michael York as Basil Exposition
10. When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth
2. Bruce, Steven Spielberg’s lawyer
3. Tom Selleck
4. Planet of the Apes
6. Shrek, Shrek
7. Star Wars
8. Aragorn, son of Arathorn in Lord of the Rings
9. Richard Attenborough, Jurassic Park
10. Dougray Scott
1. Alex Kintner
2. Smith’s Grove
3. They’re watching it at the party, the voice on the phone in the first scene asks about it, Drew Barrymore’s parents say “Drive down to the Mackenzie’s” a line from Halloween, Billy’s last name is Loomis as in Dr. Loomis
4. Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Editing
6. The dog with keys, people in Tortuga standing on barrels and chasing women, the song the pirates sing, the parrot says “Dead men tell no tales,” and in Isla de Muerta, a skeleton lies on his stomach with a sword through his back next to a crab.
7. Cornelius and Zira
9. His silver-tipped cane
10, Patty O’Brien
1. The Transporter
4. Boris Karloff
8. Phoenix, Arizona
10. Dean Martin
2. Indiana Jones, Marion, Sallah, and Marcus
3. July 4th, 1776 and December 25th, 0000
5. Can’t grant wishes for more wishes, can’t kill, can’t make people fall in love, won’t bring people back from the dead
8. Pat Hingle
9. The Star Spangled Banner
10. “Come with me if you want to live”
1. “Frog left”
3. Night Vision Goggles
4. Before: Twin Pines Mall, After: Lone Pine Mall
5. Deputy Dwight ‘Dewey’ Riley
6. Abe Vigoda
7. The Hive
8. The Moon
10. The Footman
1. Licence Plate, fish, and a metal can
2. Food poisoning
3. Christopher Lee
4. A Dooyathinkysaurus
6. Sand the floor, paint the fence, paint the house
7. Colt, Rocky, and TumTum
8. Angels with Filthy Souls
1. a pet store
2. A hailstorm of bullets
3. Ian Holm
4. A heart attack
5. Cheech Marin or Danny Trejo
6. Sylvester Stallone
8. Chuck Berry
9. A match
10. A shower